Module 5: Hazards-Coastal Flooding

This week's module covered coastal flooding such as sea-level rise/storm surges. The lectures covered coastal vulnerability and an NOAA mapping application. This mapping application was very interesting. It was cool to see a presentation on the current uses of GIS and coastal flood mapping. For the lab, I had to do several different analysis exercises. The first was determining erosion after Hurricane Sandy. This taught me how to examine a LiDAR/DEM and what can be learned from the data. The second analysis exercise was storm surge in New Jersey. Here I had to determine what percent of a county might have been affected by the storm surge. The final analysis exercise was storm surge in Florida. I compared a USGS DEM and a LiDAR DEM with a storm surge of 1 meter. This exercise was much more challenging than the others, sometimes the instructions were confusing. It took me a while to figure out how to get the count of buildings impacted for each DEM polygon. Below is the final map I made:




Comments