Module 1 Lab: Visual Interpretation

 

    The goal of this lab was to learn how to distinguish tone and texture, identify features (by shape and size, shadow, pattern, and association), and interpret colors on two true and false-color aerial photographs.   


    For the Identifying Tone and Texture section, I created the map and added a folder connection through the Catalog pane. Next, I unchecked the base maps and drug over the 7KGY10042_060.tif from the Catalog pane. I created a new polygon tone feature class by right-clicking on the geodatabase in the Catalog pane. This also allowed me to make the "Name" field at the same time. I did forget how to create a polygon because it has been a while since I took a GIS class. The link provided was helpful. I made five polygons around different tones using the straight and curved line tools. I named the polygons as I went. Took a while to find the symbology properties to change from solid polygon to outline. Also took a while to change the label’s symbol color and position so it could be easily seen. Creating the texture polygons once I had done the tone ones was easy. I repeated this same process for Texture. Finally, I made the Layout by inserting the Map Frame, Title, Legend, Name, Date, Class, and Data Source.        

    The Identifying Features, this part of the lab was much easier having done the first part. I created the map. I unchecked the base maps and drug over the VCIJ3057.tif from the Catalog pane. To create the ShapeSize point feature class in this part I used the “Create Feature Class” tool instead of using the Catalog pane. I didn’t really prefer one over the other. I created the "Name" field through the attribute table since the tool did not have an option to make new fields. I created points for the three objects and named them as I went. Finally, I created the labels and changed the color and size so they would be easy to see. I repeated this for the Shadows, Pattern, and Association features. I made the layout by inserting the Map Frame, Title, Legend, Name, Date, Class, and Data Source.

    The last section of this lab was Interpreting Color. I created the third map. I unchecked the base maps and drug over the TrueColor.tif from the Catalog pane. To create the TrueColor point feature class in this part I used the “Create Feature Class” tool instead of using the Catalog pane. I created the "Name" field through the attribute table since the tool did not have an option to make new fields. I created points for the five features and put them into the Process Summary table as I went. Finally, I repeated the process for the FalseCIR.tif.  

Comments