Module 1: Suitability Analysis / Least Cost Path (Part 1)

 The first module of GIS5100, Applications in GIS, was a very long one. The first part of the module and lab consisted of a suitability analysis. I was given a scenario that a property developer was wanting to determine how much of the land was actually suitable for building. The suitability ratings were based on land cover, soil, slope, streams, and roads.  First, I had to use the reclassify tool to reclassify land cover into the suitability rating. This was an easy task to start to the lab section. I had already used this tool in another class. 

    Next, I converted the soils polygon to a raster and reclassified it. Third, I created a slop raster and reclassified it. I did not remember how to perform this task from earlier in the lab. I had to look back and figure out what to do. I had to do the same for the Euclidian Distance tool to create a distance to rivers and roads rasters. These were also reclassified with a suitability rating. 

Finally, I used the Weighted Overlay tool to combine the five suitability criteria. This section was especially confusing. I did not understand the instruction. Eventually, after some research I was able to figure out how to use the tool. For some reason, on a couple of my tries to use the tool it wouldn't display 1-5 values even though the scale was 1-5. I repeated the process with different weights for each category. Overall, this section was a bit challenging. I think this module was made harder because there was so much to accomplish in the entire lab. Below is the comparison of my two weighted overlay maps. 



Comments