Module 6: Isarithmic Mapping

This module covered different methods of isarithmic mapping including continuous tones, hypsometric tints, and contours. Isarithmic maps depict smooth, continuous data across an area. The most common form is a contour map. 

It is important that the data used in this mapping method changes gradually between control collection points. Precipitation is one continuous, gradually changing data source. The data provided for this module was the average annual precipitation in Washington. First, I created and screenshotted a continuous tone map. Second, I created a layout of a hypsometric tint map with contours. Both maps had a hillshade function added. This creates relief in the mapped area.  


The map I created depicts Washington average annual precipitation between 1980 and 2010. I added a description of the data and its interpolation method for the user. In this module, I figured out how to make the legend have a number range rather than the less than or equal to sign. I was excited about this because I couldn't figure it out in the last module. 

Comments