Topic 1- Data Quality Lab 3

In this lab, I assessed the completeness of TIGER 2000 and county centerline road networks. I did this by comparing the total length of roads in a predetermined grid. The goal of this accuracy assessment was to determine how well all segments represent the real road network. This is assuming more roads equal more complete. The steps I took to determine the total length of roads in each grid cell is below:

  •          Add shapefiles to project
  •      Used clip tool to clip road network within the grid
  •          Deleted road attribute table fields didn’t need to speed processing
  •          Used intersect tool to determine where road network and each grid cell intersected
  •          Calculate geometry attribute to give length in km of each road segment
  •          Used summarize within tool to sum length of roads in each grid cell

I then determined how many grid cells the county centerlines are more complete and how many of the grid cells TIGER roads are more complete. Next, I calculated the percent difference in completeness with the provided formula. The map layout I created is below.



Comments