Module 7: Google Earth

This is the last module in Computer Cartography. This class went by so fast! We ended this course with an introduction to Google Earth. I did not know you could do so many things and even make tours in Google Earth. We had to convert a file, overlay an image, add layers to Google Earth, create placemarks, and record a tour. 

First, I had to convert a layer in ArcPro to a KLM file. This was done so it could be opened in Google Earth. I then added the dot density, South Florida counties, surface water, and legend image to Google Earth. Below is a screenshot of those layers

The final task in this module's lab was to create a tour of several South Florida locations using placemarks and 3D buildings. Places included in my tour were Miami metropolitan area, downtown Miami, downtown Fort Lauderdale, Tampa Bay Area, St. Petersburg, and downtown Tampa. I had to rerecord the tour several times as I was learning how to navigate. I struggled at first with getting the right viewing angles over the cities. This tour was kinda fun to make. It was also very easy and could be a useful outreach tool. 

Comments