Module 3: Cartographic Design

     This module in Computer Cartography was about cartographic design in ArcPro. I created a map of  Washington DC Ward 7 Public Schools using Gestalt's Principles. These include visual hierarchy, figure-ground relationship, contrast, and balance.

       
    This is my map of Washington DC Ward 7's public schools. Overall, I had to adjust and play with ArcPro settings to design a good map. A lot of this was because I am still becoming familiar with how to use ArcPro. 
    
    I first looked at all the data we were given from the District of Columbus Open Data and walked through the lab's first steps. I then utilized the tips and tricks in the instructions to create this map. One challenging part of this lab was labeling seven neighborhoods using the SQL query menu. I was able to work through it. One of my discussion leader posts was about how I worked through this issue.  My favorite tool introduced in this lab was adding curved text in a layout. This made it very easy to label a river rather than going through the whole process of labeling the layer.

    I implemented Gestalt's Principles in my map in several ways. The first principle I  addressed was visual hierarchy by having all the school symbology be bright blue hues. This draws the user’s eye as the most important thing. I also emphasized the title and legend, which are some of the most important map elements. I deemphasized the data source, scale, and North arrow because they are less important in communicating the map’s message. I did this by decreasing the size and using neutral colors.

    I achieved contrast in my school symbols by changing the size and hue. I also varied the line width and color of the roads based on road size (minor roads vs. highways etc.). Ward 7 is also a lighter color which contrasts with the rest of DC’s color.

    I established Gestalt's Principle of figure-ground relationship by making my AOI the lightest item on the map. The rest of Washington DC is a different shade of brown, and the background is shades of grey. These colors make the less important features fade into the background. The streets are a darker color than the AOI, which makes them appear closer to the user. The school symbols are a bright color and overlap all other features making them appear closest to the user.

    I achieved a balanced map by making the mapped area as large as possible. I placed the other map elements in the remaining room. I aligned the other map element edges to each other, creating another layer of balance. The title is centered, which gives it good balance. In the end, I think I created a good map, but it took me a while to create it. I hope I get better and faster at cartographic design throughout this class. 

Comments