Module 2: Typography

 

   

    During this weeks' lab, we put into practice the typography principles we learned about in the lecture and readings. We learned about proper label placement, color selection, fonts, and other map design basics. The objectives for this lab were to learn how to implement typographic principles in ArcPro and then create our own map.

    My map for this week depicts Florida cities and natural features. All the rivers, cities, and lakes/swamps required in the lab instructions are on my map. I did all my mapping in ArcGIS Pro. A key tool I used in this lab was annotations. Creating annotations for the lakes/swaps, instead of labels, allowed me to move the text in more ways. Annotations acted sort of like a text box in the way you could resize and rotate them. Figuring out how to edit the annotation text size/style was very difficult for me. I had a hard time figuring out where the Attributes pane was and how to edit the text within it.   

    The first customization I did on my map was adding a leader line for the Okefenokee Swamp because there was not enough room to label it on the map. Second, I created a themed point symbol for Tallahassee. I used a yellow star symbol to separate it as the capital of Florida. Third, I made the counties gray with a white border so they would fade into the background.

Comments